Friday, May 19, 2006

I saw a REAL celebrity!


Okay so it's not that big of a deal. I went to Santa Fe for a week with my boyfriend, which, as of late, has become somewhat of a playground for celebrities. So we are at The Shed eating the most awesome green chile-containing-food when Tim Allen came in and sat 2 tables over from us. Personally, I couldn't recognize Tim Allen in a lineup, but my boyfriend knew who he was. Even if he wasn't a celeb, it was sort of hard NOT to notice him because he was talking so loud.

My failure to recognize someone is not a new thing. I have horrible facial recognition. When I lived in Los Angeles one summer (a looong time ago) with my mom, my celeb radar was awful. I sold a theater ticked to Lisa Bonet and didn't know it was her (and this was at the height of The Cosby Show popularity!) I sold a box of popcorn to Rodney Dangerfield. Didn't have a clue who he was. So, since I lack the ability to recognize people, I would be a horrible photographer for the paparazzi. I guess I'll keep my day job.

Now on to more important things. Getting back to The Shed. I love green chiles. I put them in just about everything I make. I can't get enough of them. I think in a former life I was a New Mexico native. Hands down, The Shed has the best roasted green chile ever in the whole world. Go there.

Other must-eat's in Santa Fe: The Pink Adobe and The Compound. Wow.
Other must-do's in Santa Fe: The Plaza (everyone does this) and Ten Thousand Waves Japanese Spa. We spend 2 days at the spa and 5 days at a Hotel Loretto on the plaza. My boyfriend could not have put together a more perfect trip. I want to go back there...NOW!!

Here's what I don't like about New Mexico: the "I don't give a s__t" mentality. On the way home, we drove through Las Vegas (New Mexico, not Nevada) to visit an old friend of my boyfriend's. Somehow during the night he managed to scratch his cornea and was in pretty significant pain the whole day. We stopped by a pharmacy in Las Vegas to see if he could get some ophthalmic ointment for his eye. The chickie working the front counter was busy eating her burrito and talking to her co-worker to be too bothered by our arrival. We stood there a good 30 seconds while she chomped away on her food (and how gross is that, that she is filling prescriptions after eating a burrito?) before she acknowledged us. My boyfriend, being from the area, later said, "typical Las Vegas". It was weird. I can't think of any job I have ever had where I would not have been fired for doing what she did, but in New Mexico it's acceptable (and we experienced this attitude a LOT!). So anyway, back to the story, he asks to speak to the pharmacist and she acted like he asked to talk to Jesus Himself. She was like, the gatekeeper to the wizard or something. Needless to say, we left without any ointment.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Shed, the Compound, the Pink Adobe ... Hotel at Loretto ... you do everything I've always done in SF! That hotel is the first place I ever stayed with my parents there, maybe at age 8 or 9. Hope it was fun!!! Hope I get to do it some day sans family ;) Love, LQ

Sat May 20, 09:47:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home